Sunday, February 10, 2008

Contests

Remember the great contests? "Beat the Bird Time", "Location X time", "Mission Impossible Time", "Miss Whisper", "What's Inside The Black Box"? Contests were a staple on CKLW in the late 60's. Forty years ago (give or take a week) it was "What's Inside The Black Box" It even made the cover of that weeks survey. Here it is for your viewing, along with the inside.
"Showtime" by the "Detroit Emeralds" is in at #3. I still find it amazing as I look at alot of these surveys, the "Detroit Emeralds" were constantly charting, and charting very high. "Showtime" made it up to #2. "Take Me The Way That I Am" made it up to #8. "If I Lose Your Love" peaked at #3. "Do Me Right" shot to #2. "You Want It You Got It" levelled off at #7. You get the idea. But for the life of me, I don't ever remember, and I mean ever, hearing one of their songs on the station.
Maybe they charted so high due to local buying patterns. Or maybe I was just listening at the wrong times.


No comments: